Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Oh...Writer's Block

     I guess I had it coming. I wrote basically an entire book this past year, if you count the pieces of other books I started putting together. And I should have anticipated the block, the lack of voices shouting in my head to get out. To most people that sounds peaceful but to me it's downright eerie. It's happened before. It'll happen again. I just hope it doesn't take as long this time around to feel rejuvenated and fresh and ready to work on another story. I've finished Fielder's Choice. I looked through it many times and I feel as though I have put all I have into Mallory and Denny's struggle to find each other. It's no wonder I feel as though picking up a pen is the most monumental task I will ever accomplish.
     Every writer faces it, whether you are crunched for a deadline or just have no idea how to start. I want to write, I truly do but every time I try, it feels wrong somehow, that what I've written will not do these characters justice. I'm just trying to get from point A to point B but there are ten other letters standing in the way and they don't connect. It's a strange feeling to have the voices, the ideas silent. Maybe I can work out some of the garbage here while everything is simmering inside. Maybe this will move things around enough that I can squeeze on through and find point B. Maybe I just have to out wait my brain.
     As far as sales of Saving Tate, I couldn't be more ecstatic. March has been my best-selling month so far with 19 sales as of today. That puts my overall sales total at 39 if I can remember correctly. It's incredibly humbling to know that that many people are reading my words. I hope with the release of Fielder's Choice that both will exceed my expectations. And maybe someday, I'll be able to walk into an actual store and see my book sitting on the shelf with the likes of Nora Roberts and Susan Mallery, Rachel Gibson and Victoria Dahl. Heck, maybe someday those women will read my books. That'd be mind-blowing; to have the people who line my bookshelves read the words that I wrote after falling in love with characters they created.
     It's been a crazy year so far, and as the winter that wasn't fades into spring in my little corner of the world, I hope that the craziness continues because without it, the world is just a blank piece of paper. It's up to us to write the story.


My Little Bookshelf: Like most of you know I am a re-reader. Sad but true. I've recently been going back through all of Karen Rose's books which are all amazing. A lot of mystery and suspense mixed with romance and you have yourself a winning combination. Also, I have started reading Cheryl Holt's novels again. Her not-quite-so-prim and proper historical novels will force you to the edge of your comfort level then shove you over, which you end up not minding. So my advice when reading Ms. Holt's work: spread your arms and enjoy the ride down. :-) I came across Nina Pierce while searching for free ebooks online. She has a trilogy, of which I've read the first two and third is waiting on my nook, and they are excellent. I definitely recommend Blind her with Bliss and Deceive her with Desire. My next read will be Lora Leigh's Midnight Sins. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment